Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mr. Nice Guy

It's starting to sink in that Mr. Big Woods of Wisconsin's (aka Woodsy) attention has been captured...alas not by yours truly.

On Valentine's Day, after we sent the most awful texts to each other, I called him...mainly because he texted me not to text, then kept on texting.

I apologized, and as we were hanging up the call, he apologized..as in 'I'm sorry.'
And how did I react, seeing as how I didn't expect those words?
By stomping my feet, throwing a pillow across the room (all vases and porcelain knick knacks were thrown and shattered long ago)...and bursting into tears.
Sigh.

We were on the phone talking the other night, and I heard a voice in the background. "Where are you?" I demanded....sounding every bit NOT like I wanted to sound.

"I'm at Norman's. Mr. Nice Guy, remember"
"Put him on the phone." I demanded (again)
"Hello!" says this very calm cool and collected Midwestern voice.
"I can be your best friend or your worst nightmare" I said.
(I really say crap like this too. And mean it.)

Norman Nicely,, who was just as laid back as Woodsy and I are high-strung, didn't flinch, and thank goodness he didn't laugh...I'd have cried. He was articulate and we talked for a few minutes.  He had impeccable manners, yet wasn't patronizing. I quickly dropped my 'glamorous and talented personality who lives among the stars' malarkey.

So that was that. Attaching a human personality (Mr. Nice Guy himself) to an idea (a threat with no identity) was all that I needed. I can't even be jealous.

Darn it.


No comments: