Thursday, October 11, 2012

Finally... Fifty

Coming Soon!
Years in the Making!


For at least thirty of my previous 49 years, I had a very strong vision for my 50th birthday. That's not to say I obsessed over it-or even over-analyzed as I am inclined to do.


An Extravaganza of Entertainment!

Love and Laughter!
Music and Merriment!
Songs and Sex

Mystics, Mysteries...and Men! 
 
OK...so previews always go a bit overboard. And speaking of overboard, in the movie palace of my mind, this was what I saw:

It's night and I'm on the deck of a transatlantic ocean liner. I'm looking out over the rail across the dark sea. I'm feeling peaceful, secure and, I guess...reflective. And I'm alone. Absolutely, assuredly alone.


I didn't think so much about the 'being alone' aspect and I've been in steady (and unsteady-ha ha) relationships off and on for 25 years. But even at my most committed period of partnership, the vision remained unchanged: a one image, one-man-show. 

In 2008 I found myself single; and that same year the Queen Elizabeth 2(above) was retired. The QE2 had sort of been the vessel of choice in my dream, since the Queen Mary is permanently docked in Long Beach and we all know where the TITANIC is. 

And the calendar goes forward to 2012   Briefly I'd considered checking into the Hotel Queen Mary which is no longer a Hyatt, nor owned by Disney, but no matter how I sliced and diced, it sounded pretty lame.

About two weeks before my birthday, I was in my kitchen. Suddenly, just like in the movies, my vision popped in my head but this time, it was followed by an explanation. I wasn't on an ocean voyage, I was on the journey of life.While I couldn't see into the horizon of the future, I was warm, secure and content. 

It's a journey we ultimately take alone.

No comments: