Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day of the Deadpan

My upstairs neighbor passed away. He was 88 and his death not unexpected. He lived in our building for 50 years. He attended all my Christmas parties; supported me when my 14 year relationship ended (“let's go to Musso's and get drunk!”), and consoled me the last time I cried over Woodsy. 
His death is another loss in a year of losses for me. I am inconsolable over his passing. 

One of my recent organization projects has been to get my old NKP posts into Blogger so that the entire Speed Limits trip is together. The good news is after a marathon copy and paste session over the weekend, I'm 90% done.
You can now go back 2 years and catch up on my misadventures, musings, and more. I dislike blogs that abruptly end without warning: as if their author just forgot about them. I will not leave you hanging, dear reader…

This is your 'last call' notice that Speed Limits 4 the Curious officially ends with this post.

I thank my followers who were brave enough to attach their screen names to a community and culture most people will judge, dismiss and scorn. I appreciate those who commented, and moreover so those who sent me private emails.

It's time I climb up the rabbit hole and step out of the Looking Glass into the light of a new day. Party and Play in our cyber-cafe so-ci-e-tay was a detour I do not regret taking, but a rite of passage I will not miss.

This has been a especially rewarding writing period for me. Recreational drug use and abuse, sexual orientation and preferences; and people who love neither wisely nor well. These are subjects I don't write about very much: and perhaps I should more often. I've always tried to make others laugh and be happy in the hopes that it would make them happy.

This began with my mother, who was addicted to prescription meds. Although it's ridiculous, I carry the blame for her death that long-ago summer when I was 12. If the stories I've seen, lived and written about make you think twice about puffing a pipe, snorting a line, shooting up, or swallowing pills, then my mother's death was not in vain.
If you have read this blog and remain curious to explore, by all means do so. 
Remember though, you always have the choice to stop. And never let anyone treat you as second class for making the choice to party onward. 

After such a phenomenal fiftieth birthday, perhaps I am beginning to realize that to view the world with childlike wonder ultimately teaches us that our own Shangri-la lies within. I have only broken ground on making peace with myself. It may take me another fifty years to arrive there, but arrive there I will.

More than anything, when I do arrive, I hope all of you are there too. Because as children of God (or whatever Supreme Being you follow), we all deserve the happiest of endings.

'Night


No comments: