Friday, August 17, 2012

Witness for the Dead

This is the time of year I usually take a break from all things cyberspace, cruisy, chemically enhancing and convoluted...like alliteration. But I haven't...there's too much to do and so much happening at once.

If there ever was a time to take a vacation it would be now. Almost daily (it seems)  there's another celebrity death:  I've stopped trying to memorialize at length those that have impacted me more than others but briefly:

Helen Gurley Brown's 1982 book Having It All...you could say that I'm in the situation I am in by following her advice a little too closely.

Nora Ephron wrote sophisticated screenplays that appealed to all on the most simplistic of situations: romance and love. We all know how I feel about those two subjects.

I had the pleasure of meeting actress Celeste Holm and her 40 years younger opera singer husband 3 years ago. They adored each other. Ann Rutherford was in the category of good acquaintance....and a ball of energy and fire up into her 90s.

I wanted Ben Gazzara to be my father after seeing him in this ABC Movie of the Week when I was 10.

I mourned openly for Whitney Houston this spring and her final film, Sparkle opens this weekend. Donna Summer sang the soundtrack of my junior high and high school years. I spent many a New Year's Eve back then watching Dick Clark. Mike Nesmith may have grown up in Dallas and yes, his mother did invent Liquid Paper but it was Davy Jones who appeared on The Brady Bunch.

With my extended circle of friends and acquaintances I'm averaging about one loss per month, but 5 have passed so far in August. Adam Faust  who I'd last yakked with 4 or 6 weeks ago, was visiting his family in NYC and suffered a heart attack in his sleep. Adam was an adult film star and bright, conversational and sexy beyond belief. He was only 38.

My former writing teacher and yoga instructor wrote me  and said that it is the responsibility of the living to bear witness for the dead. I had to look that concept up. It means to respect them, remember them and take lessons from their lives. If telling you a bit about them and their place in my life respects and remembers them, then it is a privilege to do so.

At the rate things are going, I'm going to have a lot of lessons ahead of me.



No comments: