Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Birthday, An Anniversary, and Gratitude

I'm not sure where this year has gone, but we're in the home stretch. My 49th birthday was this week, and this week marks one full year since I began this blog.  Formerly housed on www.nastykinkpigs.com, the entire blog is now located here.
Another Year, Not My Own
'49' alternately conjures for me 'Gold Miners', San Francisco football, 'My Darling Clementine' and the end of the first half of my life. My mother died at age 47...and how I sweated out that period. I've accomplished so much, and I didn't plan to be here this long. Not because of my health which has been great, but because I thought it was chic to check out at 26 or 27. A few weeks back, I toyed with the idea of ending it, but I couldn't do it. I have two cats that need me, a few dear friends that might miss me, and I have so much writing to do.
Sweet and Low
My birthday was nice and low key. I spent the alone, reflecting.  A friend came by and we had a late supper and he then presented me with an oversized cupcake that I devoured. The following night it was Mexican food with old friends, who I shocked with tales of bachelorhood. Then I went on a binge. These have lasted 2 days max...twice weekly at the most. But they have to stop. It's boredom manifesting as fun...and it will kill me.
Blogging the Blues Away
I began this blog a year ago as a reaction to my own self-broken heart and trying to make logic of all this. How could so many bright, handsome, charming men with excess testosterone and Type A personalities wind up slamming, snorting, huffing, smoking, bumping or eating drugs? And thus, I began to write. And while I have many paths to choose, I don't know which to follow.
Gratitude
I dove into this blog wanting to tell you my thoughts, my experiences, some harmonious, some horrific, and my hope. My hope is that we as a tribe of fractious fraternity, foster bonds with each other to stay strong. I have been so very humbled that only praise and support have come back to me. I thank each and every one of you for your kind words, critiques, support, and quiet grace when I've felt so lost.

Again, I thank you.





No comments: