Tuesday, April 17, 2012

In my Merry (but oh-so-slow) Oink-mobile

I spent a frustrating hour trying out and draining my iPhone battery via the mobile version of the site formerly known as Nasty Kink Pigs. Or maybe it's still NKP, although everything seems to point to 'Oinkmobile' as it's new name.

It's taken me a couple of weeks to figure out that it's not likely pronounced Oinkmobile a la Batmobile but as in T-Mobile.

Oinkmobile looks good on my iPhone 3GS, but I can't say I was able to get too deep into it. More on that below.

Way back when, NKP touted a forthcoming Pig Network with various depraved and decadent .com names, sort of like the old Ning platforms for social networking. Ning decided to get out of the depraved and decadent hosting business and that's about when NKP came on the scene. Yet, months later, not much has changed at NKP in the manner I and others expected given the hype.

I have nothing but the greatest admiration for the creator of NKP. He's entrepreneurial, bright and when I blogged there regularly (prior to this edition on Blogger) he'd drop me a note every so often to tell me how much he enjoyed reading my work. Considering how much other stuff he has to keep track of, including a real time 'Pig Board' with posting rules that most seem to ignore, the fact that he'd email me was very flattering indeed. And, given I couldn't design a website, my only major problem in the past 4 years was when the site was redesigned overnight, resulting in links that didn't work and a general crash of the whole system. It was fixed, and paid memberships were granted an extension. Oh, and during some recent upgrade, my profile description was erased, and all my saved emails in folders I'd created were deleted as well. Oh well.

I downloaded the app to my phone--- and after choosing 'ok' about 150 times to allow access to my location,  the server timed out.  

Finally, I'm greeted with a Grindr or Scruff type view of Swine in My Pig Pen (or something like that, and there's my profile pic---which is one of my dick. That's not the pic I have as my default on NKP, and scanning the other nearby pigs...my dick stands out and I don't mean in a good way.  But I can't seem to change my pic on the mobile application.

Speaking of Grindr, I tried that out for all of 2 days before tossing it into the cyber-compost heap. Too many lead ins that began and ended with 'sup?' for me. As for Scruff, which a few friends recommended, it had so many bad reviews on iTunes App Store, I chose to pass.

Now I was curious and found there are 40 something gay social networking applications available. Some sounded too cutesy (Boy-Ahoy anyone?) others: variations on a theme (GROWLr, gfndr, Skout, Mr., Local Sin) a clever his and hers (Bender, Brenda) and Asian (9monsters). That doesn't include Skype or oovoo. Whew.

Back on my desktop, I yanked my dick--pic off my profile which should solve that problem, although I had noticed my inbox was full---with every email ever received-or so git seemed. 

There could be a lot worse things about mobile cruising: like the actual hook ups. Swine indeed. 



No comments: