Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Oliver Tweaked!

This blog originally appeared on another site in a slightly different format.


Southern California has this glamorous... yet entirely false reputation as having such an abundance of....resources, that you can get round the clock service from fiercely competitive vendors.

I was laughing about this, when "Who Will Buy?' from Oliver! started playing in the windmills of my mind. It's my least favorite of movie musicals I might add.

Granted, ‘who will buy this wonderful feeling and put it in a box for me?' is a request anyone would love actualized, but lyrics such as ‘I'm so high I swear I could fly' ? hmm.

I don't think roses, strawberries. milk or...knives ,as the spoken background would suggest, bone us up quite so fast as other chemically created options do

This muscial seems ripe for an adaptation into the party world.  A modernization...a bit of re-writing and uh...tweaking of the story. And not unprecedented. Rent was a Broadway hit is descended from opera's La Bohemė, written in the 1800's. 
Move the setting from dusty Victorian London to dazzling Los Angeles.  Refresh character names and welcome The Artful Slammer, Fag-in of course,  and Nancy Boy...whatever happened to lovely songstress Shani Wallis?

I dare you to watch the You Tube clip when you find yourself 'flying 'and not scream for mercy. (this is the ENTIRE 8:37 song.... with Hungarian subtitles no less). You have been warned.

Oliver! went on to receive the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1968. They truly don't make 'em like this anymore/

https://youtu.be/S6ul2FM4GZ8

No comments: